Living and working in Sweden

Living and working in Sweden

  • Licence to practise

    Working within healthcare is regulated through legislation and requires a license to practice in Sweden. You can apply for a license at The Swedish National board of Health and Welfare,digitally or by post.

    You will need:

    • Certified copy of valid passport
    • Certified copy of diploma or certificate showing your language skills
    • An account statement that shows you paid the application fee (700 SEK)
    • Copy and translation of your diploma
    • Document showing name change (if relevant)
    • Certificate of Good Standing or Certificate of Current Professional Status

    You can at the same time apply for permission to use the title of specialized nurse. In addition to the other documents you submit:

    • A certificate if your specialist training
    • A certificate showing your level of education
    • A document that describe the courses you completed
  • Learning Swedish

    There are many ways to learn the Swedish language and you could start learning from home. There are several options for doing crash courses online. Studyinsweden is an official resource on studying in Sweden. Here you´ll find everything you need to know on how to learn Swedish.

    When you get employed with us, you receive a language contribution of SEK 30,000.

    To receive an employment in Sweden's healthcare system you will need to reach a level of C1- Effective operational proficiency or advanced.

    There are three broad divisions:

    • A1, A2 - Basic user
    • B1, B2- Independent user
    • C1 - Proficient user